FLSA Status: Exempt
Reports To: CEO
Date: March 1, 2023
Description of Company:
Chinook Enterprises is a non-profit organization that was founded in 1980. We are a non-profit designed to operate as a business, but with a social mission: supporting full participation in community life for people with disabilities or other barriers. Full participation must start with successful employment.
About the Position:
The CFO/Finance Director is responsible for managing all aspects of the financial systems at Chinook. This position partners with the CEO to be a positive change agent and build organizational financial acumen through staff mentorship. This is a key role that works alongside the CEO to make high level decisions for the benefit for the organization. This position generates, coordinates, and oversees the maintenance of all financial records, accounts, financial correspondence, payroll records and fiscal reporting of the organization. The position prepares “forward looking” financial work including forecasting and budgeting and drives the financial direction of the organization. In addition, the position provides support to Managers and staff in the implementation and presentation of information vital to making data-based decisions for the organization.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
Other duties, responsibilities, and activities may change or be assigned at any time with or without notice. To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily.
- Maintain accurate financial records.
- Manage and monitor the budget process.
- Oversee biweekly payroll and all related payroll tax filings.
- Manage all other taxes, corporate filings, and auditing.
- Oversee operational contracts and manage some related administrative functions.
- Supervise support staff as assigned.
- Complete monthly actual vs. budget variance reporting and regular financial forecast updates throughout the year based on new/changing information.
- Provide input and oversight for customer bid activity.
- Monitor and make recommendations regarding investment accounts.
- Carry out additional responsibilities as identified and assigned by the CEO.
- Responsible for overseeing full charge accounting functions including Accounts Payable and Accounts Receivable, managing the General Ledger and reconciliation process.
- Responsible for overseeing biweekly payroll for 40+ employees with ADP, oversee all related payroll tax filings; coordinate with CEO & HR accordingly.
- Prepare comprehensive accurate and timely financial reports, to include internal/external reporting requirements and maintain financial reporting systems.
- Reconcile all bank accounts, AR and AP monthly.
- Prepare annual organization budget and ad hoc reporting for financial discussions, which also includes program budgets.
- Maintain and implement a documented system of accounting policies and procedures adhering to GAAP standards and ensure compliance and corrections.
- Coordinate with HR for benefit contracts, policies, and employee elections.
- Manage fixed assets and depreciation and inventory.
- Preparing for annual audit and work in partnership with CPA to complete the audit process.
- Assist Community Employment Services with county audits, Production team with ISO audits and others as needed.
- Prepare documents for the 990 non-profit federal income tax return.
- Coordinate year end 5500 reporting with third party administrator.
- Research and report on relevant data from Sage, Quickbooks, SetWorks, ADP & MRP Software and other resources to facilitate data-based decisions for the management team.
- Inform CEO of needed financial policy changes, financial status updates, and budget deviations.
- Provides status of financial condition of agency by collecting, interpreting, and reporting financial data.
- Complies with federal, state, and local legal requirements by enforcing adherence to requirements, filing financial reports, advising management on needed actions.
- Complete monthly actual vs. budget variance reporting.
- Complete regular financial forecast updates through the year.
- Monitor and make recommendations regarding investment accounts.
- Ensure accuracy of financial and inventory data in the MRP system.
- Review customer bids for appropriateness prior to submittal.
- Performs cost/benefit analysis for capital investments and organizational decisions.
- Maintains current knowledge of changes to financial/tax regulations that may have an impact on the organization.
- Negotiate and maintain contracts on equipment as needed (Contracted IT, Telephone, office space, office equipment) and related operational needs of the organization.
- Assure adequate records retention and historical data.
- Prepare and maintain all corporate filings.
- Manage insurance in compliance with contracts.
- Prepares information for funding contracts as requested.
- Responsible for positive communication with all internal and external interactions with Chinook’s finance department.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Essential Skills and Abilities:
To perform this job successfully, an individual should have knowledge of…
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Excellent people skills, to include interpersonal skills, and ability to collaborate in a multi-disciplinary, diverse and dynamic team.
- Flexible and a self-starter; able to manage multiple deadlines.
- Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail.
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Ability to prioritize tasks and to delegate them when appropriate.
- Ability to act with integrity, professionalism, and confidentiality.
- Ability to work well independently and as a collaborative team member.
- Thorough knowledge of financial/tax laws and regulations.
- Understanding of manufacturing cost accounting and best practices for inventory management.
- Demonstrated experience developing financial models for budgeting and forecasting.
- Proficient with Sage, QuickBooks, Microsoft Office Suite or related software with the ability to learn to utilize new technologies.
This position directly supervises up to 2 employees. Carries out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the organization’s policies and applicable laws. Responsibilities include interviewing, hiring, and training employees; planning, assigning and directing work; monitoring performance; rewarding and disciplining employees; and addressing complaints and resolving problems.
The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Education and/or Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting/Finance, or related field highly preferred.
- A minimum of five years’ of finance/full charge accounting experience or related experience required.
- A minimum of three years’ experience running an Accounting Department required.
- Experience with manufacturing resource management software (MRP) highly preferred.
- Formalized training or seminars in financial forecasting and budgeting, job costing, wage and hour requirements, and any other applicable area is desired.
- Experience with computer networking, maintenance, and upgrades is preferred.
- Experience collaborating in a multi-disciplinary, diverse, and dynamic team preferred.
- Supervisory experience preferred.
- Demonstrated experience in financial management and accounting, ideally in the manufacturing or nonprofit sector.
- Demonstrated resourcefulness in setting priorities, proposing new ways of creating efficiencies, and guiding investment in people and systems.
Certificates, Licenses, or Registrations:
- CPA preferred in WA State with familiarity in Non-profit finance and reporting (i.e. Form 990) or willingness to acquire.
- Washington State Driver’s License, vehicle liability insurance and be insurable required.
- Required to submit and pass a Washington State Patrol background check as well as a DSHS background check.
- Must have, or obtain, a CPR/First Aid certification within six months of employment or current certification upon hire.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is occasionally required to lift and/or move 20-30 pounds. The employee is regularly required to sit at a desk and work on a computer for prolonged periods of time. The employee must be able to access and navigate each department onsite. Occasionally required to stoop, kneel, squat or crouch.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is routinely indoors in an office type setting. The employee is occasionally exposed to work near moving mechanical parts or outdoor weather conditions. The noise level in the work environment is generally low.
SALARY & BENEFITS
Salary: $105,800 – $126,500 annually DOE
Benefits: We offer an excellent benefits package, including full coverage on medical, dental, long-term disability, life insurance, 401(k) matching retirement, 10 paid holidays, 160 hours of paid vacation, paid sick leave and an optional vision benefit that is available at a low cost. We have a great culture, flexibility, and offer training and development opportunities. This position is a salaried, full-time position (40 hrs/wk) and has a flexible schedule with the ability to work from home up to 50% of time.
We are committed to adding voices to our team that represents a variety of backgrounds, perspectives, and skills. We encourage black, Indigenous and people of color (BIPOC), military veterans and spouses, individuals with disabilities, LGBTQ+ identifying individuals, and those with work gaps to apply and help us in our vision to realize a community that celebrates inclusion and diversity through innovative leadership and partnerships.
- To learn more about us, the position and to apply, please visit https://chinookenterprises.org/careers-at-chinook
- Download our application and submit it with your Cover Letter and Resume through our website.
- Or apply in person at: Chinook Enterprises, 2026 Laventure Rd. Mt Vernon, WA 98273
View the Job Announcement here: